Sunday, October 30, 2011

Going Pink for a Cause



One Day, as many bloggers as possible, painting our blogs P I N K
for an incredible cause "Breast Cancer Awareness".

Pretty in Pink

A fabulous friend brought over this fabric for me to have fun with.



Here it is in a single layer.



I used my rotary cutter and cut off about a 4-inch strip cutting from selvage edge to selvage edge. Once done, I cut the length of the strip in half.

I read recently about being able to use a sewing machine to make gorgeous ruffles.



Set your tension all the way up (mine is at 9). Use a long running stitch - I set mine at 5 mm.






Take your strip of fabric and fold it in half. I chose to sew mine along the folded edge.



A trick I learned in a sewing class a while back was that when ruffling, lay your hand against the back of the machine so the fabric pushed against it as it runs under the presser foot. This will add to the ruffling effect.



Here is the ruffle hot off the sewing machine. Trim your threads and heat up your hot glue gun.



Use small dabs of glue (be careful it does tend to seep though mesh or sheer fabric and that glue is hot, hot, hot) and roll the fabric up forming a flower.


It should look a little something like this. Cut out a circle of felt and hot glue it to the back of the flower. Lastly, hot glue a pin back.



Another option is to use the ruffle flowers to make a cute headband.



I first attached mine to the elastic headband using Fabri-Tac. Then I cut out a double circle of felt and attached both flowers and the headband to the felt also using Fabri-Tac.





You can even embellish them by sewing beads or pearls into the flowers. It took me all of about 20 minutes to make both items.



This project linked up at:

4 comments:

  1. This is sooo pretty Becky.. I love it.. How beautiful.. Thats a lovely fabric..Great turn out :))Thank YOU so much for joining in today, its such a special day and it means so much to me to have you take a minute and Go Pink for such a wonderful cause.. YOU REMAIN AWESOME always.. thanks again.. xoxox.. Marilyn..Wishing you an amazing weekend.. : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the ArtsyGirl's linky. This is such a cute, easy headband to make! Thanks for sharing it. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute headband! I saw your post on the Artsy Girl Connection. I am now your newest follower; and I hope you will follow me, too! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete