The buttonholes where the drawstring exits the casing is completely torn and unsalvageable so it needs to be removed.
I started this refashion by tearing out the casing at the top of the skirt which holds the drawstring. Use your seam ripper and pull out the stitching.
Next I used my rotary cutter to cut away the fabric above the fold that made the casing. This removed approximately 1/2" of fabric.
This next photo shows the actual cut and which fold you are cutting on. Continue this around the entire width of the skirt.
Now make a fold along the stitch mark just below where you just cut. Use your iron to make a permanent crease and then pin in place.
Next use your elastic (I used 3/4" non-roll woven elastic) to measure out above the chest, under the arms and around the back. Subtract an inch, cut and set aside. Use a hem gauge (one of my fav sewing tools ever) to measure 3/4" (width of elastic) plus 1/8" to form the casing for the elastic. Iron the fold then pin.
Straight stitch the casing as close to the lower edge of the casing as possible.
Remember not to stitch the entire casing closed. Leave a 2" opening to feed the elastic through.
Now use a safety pin on the end of the elastic to feed the elastic through the casing.
Once both ends are through, redistribute the fabric around the elastic so it is even. Overlap the two ends of the elastic by an inch and pin.
Sew a box with an "x" through it to secure the elastic.
Now push the elastic into the casing and stitch the casing closed.
Next I used the drawstring to make a halter. Fold in half as you see in the photo below. I stitched it into place with a machine along the casing stitch marks. Then I handstitched up the rest of the ties.
I then cut the ends of the drawstring to a good length, cut them and tied knots at the ends.
Finally I added a cute coordinating fabric flower. Avery loved it so much that she wore it around the rest of the day. This dress can be hemmed to any length you like and will grow with the person wearing it because of the elastic and adjustable length. Mine is almost floor length on my daughter and therefore she'll be able to wear it for several years.
Now I want one so I will have a "mommy" version coming soon.
This project is linked up at: